1. About the Department of Geology
The faculty of Science has eight departments namely Botany, Chemistry, Computer science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Zoology. The department of Geology offers Geology at undergraduate level, Environmental Science at postgraduate level and a P.G. Diploma in Environmental Studies. The department is also offers Ph.D and M.Phil. The department has laboratories in place suiting the needs of the students and curriculum. The geology department was established in 1982 to prepare a highly competent creative workforce in the field Earth Science. The geology program satisfies the U.G.C recommendations for curriculum and takes into account the learning outcomes and community needs. The faculty members are continuously working on updating the curriculum of the programs to meet the latest technologies and the fastly changing society needs.
2. Courses-Under Graduate level
The University offers Geology subject as one of the main subjects at Undergraduate level since 1983. Initially the programme was offered as annual programme. But since 2017, the B.Sc programme is offering in CBCS pattern in both Telugu and English mediums. In the States of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh this course is offered at 8 Regional coordination Centres namely Anantapur, Kadapa, Tirupati, Guntur, Visakhapatnam, Warangal, Nalgonda and Hyderabad only.
3. Courses-Post Graduation diploma level
The department is offering a PG Diploma in Environmental Studies (PGDES) since 1995. This is an Environmental awareness course and all the graduates irrespective of their subjects are eligible to study. The Duration of the course is one year.
4. Courses-Post Graduation level
The University has launched Post graduation Science programmes in 2008. The department of Geology introduced M.Sc Environmental Sciences programme from the academic year 2008-2009. Initially the programme was started in 5 study centres namely Hyderabad, Warangal, Visakhapatnam, Tirupati and Guntur centres where the Conventional University are located. This is because laboratory training at higher level is required for offering this programme. The programme started initially with 50 students in each study centre. Later due to lack of students in Guntur centre the seats are transferred to Hyderabad centre. The M.Sc programme is of 2 year duration consists of 8 theory courses and 8 practical courses. The curriculum so designed based on the requirement of industries. More thrust is laid on greener technologies for the control of pollution.
5. Courses-Research Programmes
Research programmes leading to M.Phil and Ph.D were introduced from 2018 onwards. The topics selected for research is Environmental impact assessment and pollution studies on air, water and soil.
6. Profile of the Faculty Members
The pedagogy in Open University is different from conventional university. The central core faculty working in the university has to perform multitasks. They are involved in the planning and designing the programme, developing the self learning course materials, preparation of audio and video lectures, coordinating with internal assessment of students, counselling to students in both theory and practical sessions and in evaluation process.
At present, two professors are working in the department.
1. Prof. S. V. Rajashekar Reddy, Adjunct Professor of Geology. He has above 35 years of teaching experience in ODL and Regular mode. He was successfully completed his tenure in various administrative positions such as Director - Academic, Director – Student Services, Director – Material Production, Director – CIQA & AVPRC, Dean – faculty of science, Development officer and Coordinator PG science study centre and Coordinator – student affairs. He published 19 research articles in various national and international prior reviewed journals. He edited 17 books and authored above 20 units. He is having rich experience in all most all the areas in distance education.
2. Prof. P. Madhusudhana Reddy, Head, Professor of Geology, serving the department since 1994 to till date, with an experience of 30 years. He has coordinated 56 courses and edited 35 courses; developed 64 lessons/units. He has also translated 62 courses and has produced 24 audio/video lessons, participated in 26 teleconferencing sessions. He has published 32 papers in several books/journals and participated in 28 workshops/seminars. He has organized 5 workshops/seminars, and has delivered 12 expert/guest lectures. He has guided 1 PhD student. He has received the best teacher award from the Govt. of Telangana in 2016, member of various renowned academic bodies. He was also the member for Consent for establishment of pollution control board from 2008-2018.
7. Academicians Associated with the Department
Several eminent academicians of the sister conventional universities are associated with this department in the processes of curriculum development, course content development and evaluation. The faculty working in the respective colleges where study centres are located are serving as Counsellors to conduct the face to face interactive sessions.
8. Number of Courses
UG – B.Sc Geology is one of the three optional subjects in the undergraduate programme
6 Semesters-6 core subjects+ 2 Elective out of the 4 courses, 4 Skill development courses
PGDES- Three compulsory and one elective course + project work.
PG – M.Sc Environmental Sciences has 8 theory and 8 practical courses.
9. Student Support Arrangement:
UG, PGDES and PG: The student is provided with the Self-Learning Material supplemented by the Audio, Video Lessons and Tele-Conference on specified Sundays. The face to face counseling sessions are conducted on Sundays at the study centers. All the science students, (B.Sc & M.Sc progamme,) have to attend the study centers for their laboratory training which is mandatory.
M.Phil/PhD: one semester classes will be conducted in the university for the research students along with a project thesis.
Department of Geology is established in the second floor (right wing) of STML Building having the following:
- Three Laboratories with good ventilation, electrification, working platforms and required furniture.
- Two staff rooms with attached bath rooms and one counsellor’s room for the use of counsellors during classes.
- A common toilet for students.
- RO system drinking water is available for students and staff.
- Every Lab is provided with glass boards.
- Essential mineral specimens, Models are available in the geology museum.
- Depending on the need of practicals conducted, LCD projection is also available.
- One computer lab with Wi-Fi facility is available.
- The required equipment and instruments for conducting practical training for both UG and PG are available.
For Further Details
HEAD, Department of Geology
Faculty of Science
Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Open University
G.Ram Reddy Marg, Jubilee Hills
HYDERABAD, Telangana, 500033